What To Do if You Are Falsely Charged With a DUI

Driving under the influence is dangerous, and people who do so deserve to deal with the consequences; but, what happens if you weren’t under the influence but a police officer arrested you anyway? An unjust DUI charge is expensive, makes your professional life more complicated, and often leads to public embarrassment. Luckily, you have options if you feel you were falsely charged with driving under the influence.

Talk About Your Case With a Lawyer

If you are 100% sure that your DUI arrest was a false one, the first thing to do is to talk to a DUI attorney in Columbia MD. He or she can talk you through the situation and determine whether you have a case and how you can go about it if you do. Be sure not to leave out any details when providing information, as even the smallest thing can change how your case should be pursued and what the outcome could be.

Consider Suing for False Arrest

A police officer must have a reasonable belief that someone is driving under the influence to arrest someone for it. Typically, this means pulling a person over for driving erratically. During the stop, the offer must observe proof of intoxication, such as a blood alcohol level above the legal limit, failure to pass field sobriety tests, or smelling alcohol. If none of these situations applied to your stop, you could have a false arrest case.

Remove the Arrest From Your Record

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get the arrest record removed from your file if you were found not guilty. A record can make it harder to find a job or even rent an apartment, so removing it is important if possible. Keep in mind, though, that your mug shot may still be on the internet and can be harder to scrub away.

If you’ve been arrested for a DUI, whether warranted or not, the first thing to do is call a DUI attorney. He or she can walk you through your case to help you determine your next steps and what you can do to protect your reputation.